Asbestos was widely used in building materials from around the 1940's to the early 1980's and since many University buildings were constructed during that time, asbestos management is a major program.
The University's policy is management in-place, meaning asbestos is only handled or removed when necessary, before renovations, demolitions, when the material could be disturbed or is damaged. Several federal and state agencies also regulate asbestos-related activities including US EPA, PA DEP, PA Department of Labor and Industry, and OSHA.
EHS provides or coordinates the following services or components of the Asbestos Managment Program:
- Inspections, surveys and hazard assessments (Contact: Mike Burke (primary) or Steve Rohrbach (backup)).
- Contractor project design, cost estimating, specification / bid document preparation, planning (Contact: Steve Rohrbach (primary) or Mike Burke (backup)).
- Contractor prequalification, in conjunction with OPP (Contact: Mike Burke).
- Consultant prequalification (Contact: Steve Rohrbach/Mike Burke).
- Project and sample data management (Contact: Mike Burke/Steve Rohrbach)