Asbestos was widely used in building materials from around the early 1900's to the early 1980's and since many University buildings were constructed during that time, asbestos management is a major program.
The University manages asbestos-containing materials (ACM) in-place, and removes ACM before renovations, demolitions, or when the material could be disturbed or is damaged. Several federal and state agencies also regulate asbestos-related activities including the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), PA Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), PA Department of Labor and Industry (L&I), and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
EHS provides or coordinates the following services or components of the Asbestos Management Program:
- Inspections, surveys and hazard assessments
- Contractor project design, cost estimating, specification / bid document preparation, and planning
- Contractor prequalification, in conjunction with OPP
- Consultant prequalification
- Project and document management